We are committed to providing a welcoming, friendly, supportive, safe and professional environment for all participants, regardless of age, background, belief, disability, ethnicity, race, religion, gender, identity, national origin, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics.
This code of conduct applies before, during and after our challenge, and in all physical and virtual spaces.
- By participating in our challenge, we expect you to abide by this Code of Conduct and accept the procedure by which any Code of Conduct incidents are resolved.
- Please treat everyone with respect. We expect all participants to help ensure a safe and positive experience for everyone.
- Provide your true identity, affiliation, and, where appropriate, contact information, at registration and during attendance, as required.
Behaviours we encourage
- Use of welcoming and inclusive language
- Showing respect for different viewpoints and experience
- Graceful acceptance of constructive criticism
- Make space for others to speak and ask questions
- Appreciate that people will have different skill, levels of knowledge and expertise – be patient
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech/actions.
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to age, background, belief, disability, ethnicity, race, religion, gender, identity, national origin, sexual orientation or other personal characteristics, including those protected by law.
- Inappropriate use of sexual language or imagery.
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm.
- Inappropriate disruption of meetings or events.
- Photographing, video or audio recording of slides, oral or poster presentations without presenter/author’s permission.
- Violating the rules and regulations of the online platform (e.g. Zoom).
If you believe someone is violating the code of conduct, please report this to an organiser straight away, if you can. You can also report directly to us via email: email@example.com. Any reports will be reviewed by Faculty of Science staff and any action to address and/or resolve the issue will be communicated within one week.
However, if you prefer to raise the unacceptable behaviour to an independent party, you can contact University of Bristol Report + Support through their anonymous form.
Resolution of incidents
Incidents will be reviewed and if the code of conduct has been violated, the actions we take could include:
- Educating the person as to the consequences of their actions.
- Removal from an event.
- Restrictions from future challenge events.
- Removal from mailing list or positions on committees or working groups.